After beating John Molina Jr. by 8th round TKO. What is next for WBC and WBO 140 pound champion Terence Crawford?
Please keep in mind this is pure speculation on my part. Nothing more nothing less.
Here are the top 10 likely opponents for Terence Crawford in his next fight. I try to be aware of promotional issues when I do this, but Molina is with Al Hayman. So that dose possibly open up some doors. I also think a move up to Welterweight happens sooner than latter.
Two posseble opponents who just missed this list are Sergey Lipinets and Mikey Garcia. Lipinets is the top contender for Julius Indongo’s IBF and IBO championships. Garcia just spent more than two years not fighting to get out of his contract with Top Rank who also promotes Crawford. Garcia along with Crawford is one of the top talents in the sport. It would be a great fight. I just don’t see it happening
Ring Talk With Troy on YoutTube https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC1Dn…
Terence Crawford TKO 8 John Molina Jr. Fight Report https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2KFic…
My other YouTube Channels My personal vlogging channel you can find my older “Ring Talk With Troy” videos here https://www.youtube.com/user/tfgrudin2
My media channel biG72media https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8wK…
Ring Talk With Troy on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/Ring-Talk-Wi…
My website https://troygrudinmediaarts.com/
- Manny Pacquiao WBO welterweight champion. This is the fight that makes the most sense for everyone For Crawford, Pacquiao, and their promoter Bob Arum of Top Rank. For Crawford it would be a shot at winning a championship at his third weight against the biggest name still active in the sport. I’m sure with his career coming to an end sooner rather than latter Pacquiao is going to be looking for big fights. HBO has been investing a lot into Crawford lately. I think the biggest thing standing in the way is a Pacquiao retirement, or the ability to get a fight with Canelo, Khan or Mayweather
2. Julius Indongo IBF & IBO light welterweight champion. Indongo is coming off a career best win a first round knock out of Eduard Troyanovsky. A fight between Crawford and Indongo would unify the WBO, WBC, IBf & IBO 140 pound championships. Indongo may give Eduard Troyanovsky a rematch or face Sergey Lipinets next
3. Vasyl Lomachenko WBO super featherweight champion. This fight would have to take place at some kind of catchweight. HBO and Top Rank seem to be very high on both Crawford and Lomachenko. Neither Crawford or Lomachenko are going to be eachother’s first option for their next fight. However with the talent they both bring to the ring. It’s an intriguing matchup. Lomachenko’s max weight may be 140 and with Crawford likely going up to 147 sooner rather than latter. There is only a limited amount of time for this fight to happen.
4. Antonio Orozco # 1 WBC super lightweight. The unbeaten Orozco 25-0 16 Kos faces this weekend. On an HBO Latino broadcast. Orozco might not be the name that others are on this list, but he’s unbeaten, he’s the #1 contender for Crawford’s WBC championship, and there does not seem to be any promotional issues getting in the way.
5. Jeff Horn WBO Inter-Continental welterweight champion. Horn according to the WBO ranks is next inline to face Pacquiao for the WBO championship. If that fight falls through due to Pacquiao either retiring or deciding to face a bigger name. A Crawford Horn match up make sense.
6. Konstantin Ponomarev. NABF welterweight Champion Unbeaten Top Rank promoted contender at Welterweight. Ponomarve might not be the biggest name in the sport, but this fight should not be too hard to make.
7. Jessie Vargas. Vargas is coming off a loss to Pacquiao. He is a Top Rank fighter which makes this match up more possible than many other match ups.
8. Danny Garcia vs. Keith Thurman winner. WBC& WBA Super World champion. I’m pickingThurman to win that fight in March. Crawford and Garcia did have a Twitter beef which would make a Garcia match up more interesting. Crawford may want to fight before or around March and with Garcia and Thurman being PBC fighters. There are promotional issues standing in the way of this match up.
9. Adrien Broner vs. Adrian Granados. The winner of this bout may be able to call himself the next best guy behind Crawford at 140. Their match up in February is on a PBC card so making this fight may have some issues
10. Rances Barthelemy. Let’s address the elephant in the room. At 140 and even 147. Terence Crawford does not have a lot of options with in the Top Rank and HBO line ups. Barthlemy is tall and can fight both on the outside and the inside. He can test Crawford in a way that some of the guys who I think are more likely to be Crawford’s next opponent probably can’t. He’s also a two weight champion 130 and 135. What’s standing in the way you ask? Crawford is with Top Rank and Barthlemy is with PBC.